Worship and Prayer Services
Shabbat Morning Services
9:30 a.m. until approximately 12 noon
Led by Rabbi Newman Kamin and Cantor Stuart Simon.
- Rabbi Newman Kamin presents an insightful d'var Torah on the weekly reading and then engages the congregation in a lively interactive discussion.
- Cantor Simon, a truly gifted vocalist and musician, has been leading prayers for more than forty years. He is an exciting and compelling presence on the bimah.
- Fully egalitarian.
- Triennial Torah reading.
- Light kiddush lunch follows services.
Am Yisrael has always recognized that music is a most important component of worship. Music can stir the soul, intensify emotions and revivify centuries old prayers. Shabbat services resound with Cantor Simon on guitar, often accompanied by a percussionist and other musicians. Our High Holy Day services are enhanced by a professional choir, keyboard, guitar and English horn.
Friday Night Shabbat Services
- 6:00 p.m. until approximately 6:40 p.m.
- Led by Rabbi Newman Kamin and Cantor Simon.
- Features guitar, percussion and oboe.
- Designed to allow congregants the opportunity to daven, then go home to enjoy a leisurely dinner, welcoming Shabbat with family and friends.
Friday Night Live Services
- Jan. 27, March 31, April 28, May 26 - 6:00 p.m.
- Cantor Simon and the Shabbatones (8 piece band)
Rich Cohen - mandolin
Jonah Greenthal - keyboard
Rod Loewenthal - saxophone
Packy Lundholm - percussion
E. Marc Nevins - guitar
Howard Prager - tuba
Donna Rubinson - accordion
Alan Shlachter - oboe/English horn
- Featuring Craig Taubman's and Nava Tehillah's wonderful Shabbat melodies.
A delight for the whole family...all ages love this service!
- Sundays, 9:15 a.m.
- Mondays through Thursdays, 1:00 p.m.
- Legal holidays minyanim are held at 8:00 a.m. (New Year's day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas day)
We welcome everyone in the community to attend our services. Am Yisrael is an egalitarian congregation. All Jews over the age of thirteen are counted in the minyan, men and women alike.
Am Yisrael follows the modern Israeli calendar (except for Rosh Hashanah).
- Selichot (usually sunrise services at the beach)
- Rosh Hashanah (two days)
- Yom Kippur
- Sukkot (first day)
- Shemini Atzeret/Simchat Torah (combined on the seventh day of Sukkot)
- Passover (first and seventh days)
- Yom HaShoah (Holocaust Memorial Day)
- Shavuot (first day)
- Tisha B'Av
For details on holiday services please consult the monthly synagogue bulletin, weekly e-mail, website or call the office at 847-446-7215.